Otoplasty / ear surgery
Price: from 20 000
Time spent in Clinic (including operation): 2-3hours
Recovery time: 1 week
Headbands must be used from 4-6 weeks
If the operation was not cancelled 72 hour prior to schedule date patient will be charged 50% of the operation price.
Changing the shape of the ears
Some are born with ears more visible than in others due to their degree angle to head. In this case otoplasty ( also called ear correction) is a simple solution to this problem.
Children having problems with protruding ears often hear comments from other children or are bullied, have their operations done under common insurance scheme before the school age. It is important for the child to decide by him/herself about the operation to go through it well.
Some adult with protruding ears also would like to have them corrected which they find not attractive or dominating their looks too much. Ears are made of cartilage covered with skin. Change in the shape of ears is connected with the change in the cartilage.
Ears correction is connected with the change in shape of ear and adjacency closer to head. It is usually performed by skin incision/ removal of part of skin from the hind part of ear and cartilage and due to incision the shape of cartilage is changed and a few stiches sutured to maintain new shape.
Hibiscrub soap is used day before and on the day of operation to minimalize the risk of infection.
Medication should be taken according to arrangements.
Medication prone to cause bleeding like Dispril (acetylsalicylic acid)), Novid (aspirin, acetylsalicylic acid) should not be taken for 2 weeks prior to operation and right after it. Medications like naproxen and supplements and herbal preparations like vitamin E, Omega 3, garlic pills or ginger should not be taken as well as they are prone to cause bleeding.
Day of operation
- You are welcomed by the surgeon who takes pictures
- Adult will have only local anaesthesia.
- If you would like to take painkillers and sleep pills arrange a pick up by other person or taxi home. You should be accompanied by someone on the first evening and night after the procedure.
After the operation
- Special bandage is put on your head to compress newly formed ear. This dressing is usually taken off after one week and a headband is used to compress the ear and avoid disfiguration. We recommend using the headband 24/7 for 4 weeks and further use at night until 6 weeks.
- Refrain from excessive physical activity for 14 days after the operation and refrain from physical activity in which the ear is bend for 6 weeks. Children should stay at home until the larger dressing is not removed and do not go to practise before 14 days.
- Adult may got to work after a few days depending on the job.
- Pain may be felt after anaesthetics stop working after the operation and then painkillers should be used according to arrangements. If the bleeding occurs in one ear and one ear hurts more than the other you should consult it with a surgeon.
- Immediately report for examination to check your condition and plan further treatment if symptoms of infection like irritated skin, swelling, redness, pain and fever appear.
- A scar is located at the back of the ear. It is usually pale and less visible with time. In some cases a scar is transformed into cheloid, then the scar is growing and becomes thick, red and swollen and non-aesthetic looking.
- Ear is one of the areas of the body where it can happen.